David Burke — who became executive chef of The River Cafe at age 26 — has been called a culinary prankster for the creativity he brings not only to recipes, but to TV shows and even food product lines (every try his Flavor Sprays or Cheesecake Lollipops?). In this March 2016 class at De Gustibus, Burke demonstrated how to make delicious Moroccan style pancakes with maple pepper bacon. View the full recipe below.
Maple Pepper Bacon / Moroccan Style Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups fine semolina
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cup warm water
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- Non stick spray
- Combine all ingredients in the blender except baking powder.
- Blend on high for 6 minutes then add the baking powder and blend for an additional 4 minutes.
- Put the batter into a bowl and cover the bowl with a towel. Let stand about 2 hours.
- Cook the pancakes (about 2 tablespoons of batter each) in a non-stick pan. (I like to try one in a clean pan to test the non stick. If the first one sticks wipe out the pan and spray. Wipe away any excess spray).
- Cook the pancakes all the way on one side about 3 minutes, flip to warm for another minute then remove and keep warm until ready to serve.
- 4 strips bacon, cut ¼ inch thick
- 1.5 cups maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Colman’s mustard
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lay the bacon on a baking rack set on a ½ sheet pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pot and reduce by a third.
- Brush the bacon with the maple mixture on both sides and put in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes flip the bacon and brush again with the syrup. Repeat this 2 more times. Cut each strip into 4 pieces.
- Place one pancake in the center of the plate.
- Top with a piece of bacon.
- Drizzle bacon reserves around the pancake.
- Garnish with julienned carrots and yellow bell peppers.
David Burke pictured at De Gustibus Cooking School in March 2016. At left: Burke's Orange and Strawberry tart. Above right: Burke's bacon hanging out. Bottom right: Burke addressing the class.
David Burke's Menu
Maple Pepper Bacon
Moroccan Style Pancakes
Curry Oil Tapioca, Aji Amarillo
Farotto, Roasted Carrots and Brussel Sprouts
with Pork Belly & Handmade Noodles
Candied Bell Pepper Caramel with Vanilla Ice Cream