The Southern sun always shines whenever Carla Hall brings her warmth and fun-filled cooking to De Gustibus. In this highlight, Hall combines her classic French training with her Southern upbringing to create a hearty vegetarian entree: Broiled Cauliflower Steak with Olive Relish.
Here is there recipe for Carla Hall’s Broiled Cauliflower Steak with Olive Relish.
Carla Hall’s Broiled Cauliflower Steak with Olive Relish
- 2 medium (2-pound) cauliflowers
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chile flakes
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 2 tbsp pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 each lemon
- Arrange the broiler rack 6 inches from the heat source. Preheat the broiler.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflowers, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices from top to bottom, keeping the core intact. You should get 3 “steaks” from each cauliflower and florets from the ends.
- Coat a half sheet pan with 1 tablespoon oil and arrange the cauliflower steaks and florets in a single layer in the pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Broil until the bottoms have browned, about 8 minutes, carefully flip the pieces, and broil until the other side is browned and the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, shaking the pan, then add the chile flakes and cook for 15 seconds, shaking the pan. Add the oregano and remove from the heat. Stir in the capers and olives. Just before serving, zest the lemon directly over the mixture and stir well. Spoon over the broiled cauliflower and serve immediately. (serves 4)
Recipe Demonstrated at De Gustibus Cooking School on Monday, April 28, 2014. Complete menu with wine pairings below.