Chef Shea Gallante's first foray into food was at a Poughkeepsie pizzeria. He's come a long since having worked at such notable restaurants as Bouley and Felidia before heading CRU, CianoNYC, and Lincoln Ristorante. In this class, Gallante demonstrated the value of simple and accessible ingredients by turning them into, among other things, a multilayered dessert—Nutella Gelato.
Below is the recipe from his class at De Gustibus Cooking School in the fall of 2012.
Nutella Gelato Sundae with Smoked Caramel and Sea Salt Recipe
- 1 qt. Milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Corn Syrup
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 cup Nutella
- Prepare ice bath and set to the side.
- Bring all ingredients to simmer in a tall, heavy bottom pot. Stir often.
- Strain and cook mixture down in an ice bath.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
Smoked Caramel Sauce
- 2 c. Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Butter.
- In a heavy pan, cook sugar until liquified and amber in color. Stir constantly with wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream and butter.
- Let cook to room temperature.
- Smoke caramel sauce in smoker until lightly smoked.
Place one scoop of Nutella Gelato in center of plate or bowl. Place toppings of your choice around the sides of the gelato. Drizzle caramel sauce over gelato and serve.
Recipe demonstrated at De Gustibus Cooking School in Fall 2012. Complete menu below.
Shea Gallante's Menu
Tusan Kale Salad
Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
Nutella Gelato Sundae